This recipe was modified from simply recipes
Pumpkin Apple Gingerbread REcipe
- 1 1/2 cups (200 g) all purpose flour* (I used Whole White Wheat Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (240 ml) pumpkin purée**
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, or 112 g) butter, melted (I only used 1/2 of a stick to reduce the fat)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) molasses
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 Tbsp water
- one peeled apple, finely chopped in a food processor or blender (I added this on)
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest (I added this on)
- powdered sugar for dusting (I added this on)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla (I added this on)
1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray or butter to keep the pumpkin gingerbread from sticking to the pan.
2 In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3 In another bowl, use a wooden spoon to mix together the pumpkin purée, melted butter, sugar, molasses, fresh or candied ginger, eggs, and water, pureed apple, vanilla, lemon zest
4 Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Add the raisins if using. Stir only until incorporated.
5 Place the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a bamboo skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then gently run a knife around the edge of the loaf and invert the loaf to remove it from the pan. Let it cool on a rack for 30 minutes or longer.
After bread is cooled, dust lightly with powdered sugar and garnish with lemon zest.
Yield: Makes one loaf.
Linking up with these parties.